Friday, January 4, 2013

I had a Dream

I have always had a fondness for books. I calculate I have read at least 3 books a week for the last 50 years or so. Some where around 7,500 books.  I had a dream the other night where I suddenly became aware that every author of every book I had ever  read was talking completely out his ass! Biased and slanted interpretations of other hearsay containing little substance and a whole lot of conjecture. I woke up in a sweat and laughed out loud. After convincing my sweet wife I was not having a sex dream or some equally disturbing mental breakdown I began to explore the ramifications of such an idea.

Why is it necessary to seek out the opinions of others with such fervor. What is it that we are attempting to learn or satisfy or validate. I have reached the point in my life when I no longer care to waste any of my remaining time in this world seeking the answers to anything. I just wish to survive for as long as I can in reasonable comfort. I have no causes to champion, no windmills to charge. Being open minded is not the same as accepting the harsh reality that we don't know and quite likely never will know the answers to some of life's more interesting questions.

Most bloggers are true believers as described by Eric Hoffer in his book True Believers. He talks of mass movements, fanatics, the common traits that all true believers share. It turns out that fanaticism is fanaticism and the subject material is irrelevant. Whether you are talking politics or religion or some hybrid conjoining of the two, the elements at work are essentially the same. Realizing this one comes to the conclusion that you are either preaching to the choir or wasting your breath entirely.

This helps to streamline the avenues of inquiry in ones life. You no longer seek an answer to a question that can readily be explained with the one word answer "fanaticism. " Of course, in your daily dealings with your fellow man you can not afford the luxury of acknowledging this. The statement "you are a fucking idiot, and I am not" will not make you the most popular person at the party and is likely to result in not being invited to the next one. So you suffer in silence and nod as some moronic ignoramus pontificates his well rehearsed views and fully expects you to gasp with amazement at his wit and insight.

Such is life! Most of the really interesting people stay hidden in the shadows for fear of discovery and the inmates run the asylum. The blog Universe offers the opportunity to say anything you want with an alias and express a freedom you won't find anywhere else. You wonder why the same old nonsense is repeated over and over like a liturgy.

oh, well. Strange dream.

the rat

2 comments:

  1. I have found that people find solace in the escape that reading offers. I'm one of those people, but I'm by no means unique.

    The books that I've personally written are enjoyed by a few and it's satisfying to provide an alternate reality that brings a momentary disconnection by readers from the daily grind. After all, that's the purpose of entertainment. (movies in your mind)

    I don't claim to be a great or even a good author. The proof of the pudding is in the eating (reading). If people want to turn the next page, I did my job.

    Being as critical as I allow myself to be of my own work, I feel that it represents a unique view of a world that I occupied. Some people find that world less than comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that "Don't like" thing it's a great philosophy. More people should live by it.

    ReplyDelete

This is a Free Speech Zone.