At least when I go to hell, I'll be used to the weather and surrounded by old friends!
The Mohave Rat

Monday, January 21, 2013

My Father

My father was born and raised in eastern Kentucky. He joined the Army Air Corps and served during WWII. He spent all his overseas time in India flying the Hump. The Himalaya mountains. He did go to Burma , he got malaria and damn near died. It did weaken his heart because he didn't live to see 60. He won medals and made staff sergeant. I urge everyone to read up on the China/Burma/ India theater of operations. A interesting part of the war you don't hear much about.

When the war was over he came back home to Kentucky and while working on a job in West Virginia met my mother. They got married in 1947 and shortly after made the future Mohave Rat. When I got big they had a little war going on called Vietnam. I got out of high school and joined the Air Force. It had become its own branch of the military by then. I got a few medals and made staff sergeant like my dad. Good enough for me.

I have four children in this world who grew up and don't know any of this. There has been many times we could have talked about this and I could have told them about their grandpa and why I did what I did but no. Not one of them ever cared to learn about me or my family.

How sad. Now even if they wanted to know I don't want to talk about it anymore. I haven't had a conversation with any of them in years. Far as I am concerned they all died. It is easier to feel that way then live every day with the knowledge they know I am alive and just don't care.

I guess my grandchildren will never know anything about me either. Damn shame, I'm the Mohave Rat. I'm a pretty interesting fellow.

all for now,

the rat

12 comments:

  1. Phyllis (N/W Jersey)January 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

    So sad, but so common these days.
    But please, write it down and tell your story and your Dad's. It is important. To you and to them. Only they don't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis, I don't know if I ever said this to you but thanks for your friendship. You are a very nice lady and I appreciate your comments greatly. the rat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mr. Rat,

    How very sad for you that all four children haven't come around yet to see that their father is special, and very much worth getting to know.

    I just hope it doesn't take a tragedy before they smarten up. A lot of times it's too late when they finally grow a brain.

    I wish you well !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're damn right, you ARE an interesting fellow. I only wish I had interesting family to learn the stories of. I'm happy to read your stories any time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rat, It makes me sad that your kids have chosen that path. I went for about 13 years or so with no contact with my father. It was my choice and at the time I fought to defend my "rightness". Fortunately I pulled my head out of my ass in time to mend the fences and I'm glad I did. The best gift he ever gave me was a journal that my grandfather used to carry with him. It was fascinating to discover how much I had in common with a man I barely new. He died when I was very young. Anyway, write your story if you like. You never know who's life it will touch. Thanks for sharing this much with us out here in blogland.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. my thanks go out to everybody for your kind remarks. the rat

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are indeed a very interesting fellow. I have enjoyed reading about your opinions, rants, and anything else you care to write about.

    I sincerely hope that you will one day be able to re-connect with your children and they will realize how special a father and grandfather really is. Until then, just know that you are not alone. America is filled with families who unfortunately don't know a good thing when they could have it.

    Take Care and keep on keeping on !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rat,
    I agree with Phyllis - You need to tell your Dad's and your story.

    I came home got Thailand and my six year old nephew asked me if I had been working on a railroad - as in laying Thais. His Dad was a Nam vet.

    Frimge was a AF Staff Sgt too - made it first time out. Shit, it took me another 2 years after him to put on E-5. Now, I made Master first time out.

    Do you even know how important what your father and the others did by flying supplies into China?
    C-46s and C-47s kept the Chinese in the war against the Japanese.

    Good on your Dad!

    Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mother spent the war driving a forklift, loading trains with 8" howitzer shells manufactured at Weirton Steel Co. Weirton Wva. My uncles Ray, Floyd, Herb, Joe, Jack, Jim, Bob and Paul all fought in WWII. Three landed on D-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry your children and you are not on speaking terms.

    Write it down for the benefits of your grandchildren and other generations to come.

    I am sure one day they will appreciate knowing about their family roots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure if my first comment went through...just wanted to say again that I think your children are missing out big time on knowing you.

    Just came across your blog awhile ago and love your tell it like it is no hold barred thoughts. Keep on sharing them.

    Did you grow up or live in Weirton, WV?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up in Weirton . Left as soon as I could and since my mother died I have no reason to ever, ever, go back. the rat

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Adults. I don't Have the patience for playground behavior.