Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Lessons learned the hard way!

My dad only had an 8th grade education. He went to work when he was 15. He went on to be a radio tech in the Army Air Corps during World War II. Became a diesel mechanic after he got home from the war and was very successful but it always bothered him he didn't have much education. He was never good enough! and he passed that on to me!

My house growing up was full of books and records. My dad wanted to be surrounded by the things he didn't have growing up and wanted me to have them as well. A hillbilly playing Rachmaninoff on the record player! Imagine that?

I have said on numerous occasions that most of my education came from used paperbacks I bought for a quarter at the thrift store. I finished high school and do have some college credits but I dropped out and went to work and never finished a degree. Looking back on my life, I would have been happy being a handyman.

My dad died when I was 22. I spent the next 40 years trying to make him proud of me anyway. No matter what I did or how successful I was at something it was never enough. Hell of a way to live your life. Now I am retired and I don't have to prove anything to anybody anymore. Wish I had taken everything a little bit easier. I would have been a good handyman and I could have gone fishing one day a week!

4 comments:

  1. Fishing is overrated. Granted you could bring a book with you while fishing and play classical music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought that! I do enjoy going down by the river and watching the ducks. ha ha

      Delete
  2. Looking back I think we all wish we had done a few things differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes I get angry with myself for being such a fool! It never occurs to me that others feel the same way! thanks...

      Delete

No negativity! No snide remarks or insults. Just be nice and I'll gladly post your comments.