Saturday, April 22, 2017

Facing reality. What a bitch!

I have been thinking a lot lately about "acting my age" and quit trying to be Superman. I got a real bad back. I shouldn't be trying to pick up golf cart batteries and trying to tote them around. Stupid, egotistical and foolish! Time has come to acknowledge the reality of my situation. I am not real old but (I'm crippled) and I need to quit letting foolish pride cause me to risk serious injury.


I have also recently been thinking about donating about half my junk to charity and slimming down some. I have enough "stuff" to open  my own second hand store . NO! I am not going to do that. To much like work. Giving those extra items to charity would allow some worthwhile cause to get the benefit and they can do all the lifting. I can sit back and feel like I did a good deed without having to strain myself in the process!

I lost a son to cancer and we have a Cancer Thrift store here locally. I feel for anyone who ever had to watch their loved one die from cancer. It is awful. Getting off topic!

My closet needs cleaned out. I got clothes in there I haven't had on in several years. Why keep them? I got shoes I don't wear. Somewhere some poor soul could use a good pair of shoes. Looking around, I got pretty much everything I need. My 10 year old laptop (windows vista) started giving me trouble I went and got a new one for 500 bucks. 3x as fast. 2x the memory. It will easily last another 10 years. Hell, by then they will have one that fits in your shirt pocket and plugs directly into your head! ha ha ha ha

Stuff don't make you rich. Having everything you need and someone to love. That's what really matters.

14 comments:

  1. Get rid of the old clothes, what the heck?
    For moving the batteries around maybe you need an engine hoist cherry picker? Not real spendy, great for moving things around that are heavier than I ought to be lifting... Plus it's a new tool :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had more of a paved area I would get one. My motorhome is parked on gravel. Soon as I get it running again I am going to move it to a better parking spot.

      Delete
  2. 2016 ( I turned 70) was my year of reality kicks in the crotch. 2017 so far has been a time of adapting to all the things I cannot do safely any more and finding things, some new, that I can safely do. Even old man life is an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the last few years I spent one day working and about 4 days healing up afterward. It occurred to me that in order to get my list of stuff to do done I would have to live to be 125 at the rate I was moving. Climbing up is a problem all of a sudden. I get dizzy as hell two steps off the ground? Hell, I used to jump around on roofs installing swamp coolers and cutting holes for exhaust vents. I am trying to adapt. Hardest thing I have ever done. Patience is not one of the virtues I am known for....good hearing from you Barn..

      Delete
    2. Patience? What is that? I have no idea what that is.

      Delete
    3. At least we are both still damned good looking and charming as hell!

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your son. I lost an aunt, uncle and grandfather to cancer. My mom, dad, sister in law and uncle all had cancer but they survived after surgery and treatment. I've cleaned out my closets several times over the years, I usually give my stuff to the battered women's shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually care which people support with their donations as long as it doesn't end up in the landfill. It is just terrible the perfectly good stuff that gets thrown in the garbage here in America. We should be ashamed over all the waste. Good for you! and I'm sure the ladies appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyable post, with which I closely identify. I already have a device with 3x my speed and 2x my memory and I've been married to her for 47 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have our women in our lives. I know that without the Mrs. I would be a bigger mess than I am now! ha ha ha

      Delete
  5. Passing by to see how you were going as I've joined the world of crack-ups. I still have things from my mother after going into the nursing home. One of her carers comes from Fiji and the village is still trying to pull everything together after the last disaster so I was happy to donate my old sewing machine and two huge rolls of netting which will make mosquito nets for the children. She said they would use anything now they had a machine so I am still packing boxes of fabric. I feel lighter already. Glad to read that Mrs Rat is doing well along with Grayson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good hearing from you! You know how when a woman is pregnant she gets the urge to "nest". Has to get everything ready for the baby. Instinctual I imagine. I have been wondering what event I am expecting to happen that requires me to give away my possessions. I am driven to straighten up my life and get organized and I don't have a clue why? Maybe I have a deep seated desire not to leave a mess behind when I die? I hope not. I had things planned for the next 10 years or so! ha ha ha ha ha

      Delete
  6. It's spring cleaning the mind and in my case I found two people who appreciated what was given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I die I will leave it all behind anyway so why it see it given to those in need rather than those who will profit? Appreciate? I am not familiar with that........

      Delete

If you disagree, your views would be very much sought after! I value your point of view even if it is different from mine! thanks for your comment!