Sunday, April 2, 2017

Not much to report today!

I noticed last night that my trees in front were leaning real bad from the storm. Mostly the one to the south. They haven't been there a whole year yet so I hadn't taken the poles out. Bad mistake! The poles prevented the trees from bending back and forth and I damn near caused them to get blown over!

Went out there today and got the poles out. The trees aren't leaning as bad as I thought but the south one still needs staked upright till it gets a little bigger. I had a piece of flat iron stock in the shop so I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in it and pounded it in the ground about 2 1/2 feet deep with a sledge hammer. Tied the tree to it with a hitch knot so I could cinch it up tight. That will do for a temporary repair till I go get some wire and turnbuckles.

Now that the trees are standing on their own I am going to feed and water the heck out of them this year so the trunks thicken up some before they get to set in their ways.  I want my trees to grow up fairly straight. My neighbors trees lean out towards the sidewalk. That would drive me crazy. It hit 80 degrees today and was a little humid so I'm sweating like a gopher in a wool sock.

Haven't figured out how to load pictures in the new laptop so soon as I do--------

4 comments:

  1. I've got several tomatoes and a couple of pepper plants set out in buckets, but I think I missed the window for any fruit trees being planted. Spring hit here about a month ago. (early)

    Happy belated Birthday.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bigfoot. My fruit trees were blossoming real good when the wind hit so I don't expect much fruit this year. With the winds we had I'm thankful my trees stayed in the ground!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with figuring out how to do photos, you have great taste in your header photos and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I just need to have enough free time to play with it awhile. It's taken about a week to get Windows 10 halfway figured out. I still need to transfer my "blog stuff" file over on to the new computer.

      Delete

No negativity! No snide remarks or insults. Just be nice and I'll gladly post your comments.