Wednesday, May 3, 2017

10 ideas to think about while preparing for economic shitstorm!

Today I thought I would make a few suggestions toss out some ideas to get yourself ready for economic hard times or societal collapse.

First: Don't keep much money in the bank. There is no decent interest to be earned anymore so why leave your money in the bank for the bank to use? Pay off your bills! Pay off credit card debt! Pay extra on your house to reduce interest owed and bring payoff down. Use money for improvements. Insulation for example.

Second: You need a van or a used UHAUL truck or something you can haul stuff with and sleep in if it ever becomes necessary. There is a lot to be said for used school buses.

Third: Keep your mouth shut! Don't go on sites and talk on forums about all your preparations. Trust no one! Never show off! Never brag!

Fourth: Buy tools and equipment and learn how to use them. Can you weld? Everyone should be able to weld. Girls too! (actually women are excellent welders).

Fifth: Forget that "buy American" motto. You are trying to survive. Buy tools from Harbor Freight. They are guaranteed and just as good as name brand tools. I used Pittsburgh plumbing tools for years and never had a problem. I have several power tools in my shop from Central Machinery (both Harbor Freight brands). For home repairs they will work fine.

Six: Only buy land if you are going to live on it. You might show up someday and find someone else on your land and they don't want to leave. Unnecessary legal hassle or gun fight! Buy it and move on to it even if all you got is a storage shed. Put up no trespassing signs and get a big dog! If you live in a state that allows open carry, strap on your pistol and wear it. If you buy land, grow a garden. Small at first until you get the soil improved and have adequate fencing. Grow tomatoes and peppers in big pots if necessary. But grow something!

Seven: Become a world class scrounge. Look in dumpsters, cruise neighborhoods the day before the trash truck and look for curb finds. Shop second hand stores, garage sales, yard sales, the clearance aisles. Never buy anything new you can get for a good price used. Look at building sites for scrap lumber. Ask if you can have it !

Eight: Forget about money markets and certificates of deposit. Spend your federal reserve notes on things of value. Tools, Guns, ammo, silver, gold. Replace the engine and tranny  and rear end in your vehicle and drive it another 250,000 miles.

Nine: Give up all that nonsense about sending all the children to college. They can't get jobs with a liberal arts degree. Send them to trade schools if you can find one. Learn electrical and plumbing and carpentry and welding and diesel mechanics and small engine repair. Something they can EARN with. Only future doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses and teachers and scientists need lots of college. If your son or daughter wants to waste 4 years on art appreciation and you are willing to pay for it, fine. They can redecorate your house when you are dead because they will still be living at home.

Ten: You cannot afford foolish pride. Pride is what made men jump out windows during the depression. Do what you got to do to survive and take care of your family.


Got any ideas I didn't think of? I look forward to your input.

12 comments:

  1. Take a chemistry class, learn how to transform french fry grease into bio-diesel. Drive a 7.3 Ford Diesel. Learn basic electronics and how to solder. Learn how to reload, how to cast bullets, and about black powder rifles. Remember chemistry, learn how to make consistent black powder. Take a horticulture class. Take an Animal Husbandry class. Besides learning how to weld also learn basic forging and blacksmithing...

    The list goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a guy who runs his truck on French fry oil. I agree with all your recommendations. Thanks for contributing to the discussion. Good to see you here!

      Delete
  2. I didn't see anything about health. Some of us have health issue....I'm not a big bank fan...Hubby and I been working on the garden today. Redid our trills and picked some spinach and sunflower greens.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. staying active and eating right is important to health. I need to lose a few pounds for my blood pressure. I could cut back on the medicine if I got it down far enough. Everything else I handle with a couple shots of whiskey at bedtime! ha ha ha

      Delete
  3. Learn to cook. Find out what local plants are edible. We still pick lots of berries out in the bush. Learn how to preserve your food for eating later- dehydrate, can and preserve. Learn how to repair stuff. I am always amazed at how many folks can't even sew on a button, darn socks, or fix a rip in their clothing. Keep some books on how to do things. Google might not always be available. Keep your stuff in good repair. Learn to sharpen your knives, axes, scissors and such. Buy all that stuff at garage sales, estate sales and thrift stores...quite often the best quality stuff is the older things you find there.
    Great post , Mr Rat.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid the desert doesn't offer much except mesquite beans and prickly pear fruit(tastes like watermelon) Of course there is always rattlesnake. Tastes just like chicken! ha ha Rabbits are abundant when we have a good monsoon. I knew a fellow once who broke down and it took a week to walk out, He ate a prairie dog! He said it needed some salt and garlic powder! ha ha ha I been fixing stuff all my life. I can sew on a button. I learned in the service. My how to library is in my head. I guess I should have kept a few books.

      Delete
  4. Excellent post Rat. Though between what you posted and the comments thus far, I don't have much to add. I've always believed that with a good set of tools and a wide-ranging library, a person can go pretty far in life! Aside from raising gardens and rabbis as a kid, I learned to wrench on bicycles and lawnmowers and such, which led too working on cars and bigger machinery and all the way up to large buildings. Though sometimes I do wish I'd stuck it out in college, I'm thankful that I've never had student debt to drag around! And somehow I've survived without a degree...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a college dropout. I dropped out when I realized it was interfering with my education! ha ha ha ha I worked on aircraft for years. Worked construction. Drove big rigs for awhile. Always found something to do for money even if it was just cutting grass or painting houses. some of my readers think I am a bum and spent my whole life on welfare? Poor babies think they are the only ones who ever had it hard. good hearing from you son.

      Delete
  5. I think the "world class scrounge" idea is an especially sound one. We waste a whole helluva lot. And, I also concur that a shot or two or three of whisky is often the medicine of choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried narcotics and nerve medicine and whiskey works. I alternate between whiskey and muscle relaxers for sleep.

      Delete
  6. Tools & practical education for yourself are never wasted.. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I buy tools at yard sales and second hand. If I need something right away I go to Harbor Freight. I started working with tools in high school and carried a tool bag most of my working career.

      Delete

No negativity! No snide remarks or insults. Just be nice and I'll gladly post your comments.