Sunday, June 18, 2017

A few words for Sunday

When you mention in conversation or on a blog that you don't believe in God, most religious people immediately go on the defensive and assume you are going to bad mouth or ridicule their faith. I don't do that but they don't give me a chance in many cases to show them. If your faith gives you comfort in this crazy world then by all means cling to it and cherish it. I just don't do that any longer.

What I am guilty of is pointing out that some people do not manifest the spirit that someone walking with God should have. There is no place for bigotry or avarice or hatred. Those are things you should have left behind when you began your walk with your Lord. I have encountered some vicious and mean people who don't see the hypocrisy of claiming to be a Christian and being mean spirited and aggressive at the same time.

I guess what I am trying to say is there are "Christian Bullies" who have a form of godliness but deny the power. They don't manifest any of the fruitages of the Spirit. Perhaps it is not my place to point these things out to people but I believe sincerely that if everyone who claims to be religious or follow a faith actually practiced it and showed loving kindness to each other the world would be such a better place.


You know people who are  "Holy" on Sunday and live like savages the rest of the week. Yet, they get irate when you acknowledge your own lack of faith. You tell them you are still searching for an answer that will satisfy you and instead of trying to help you or share their own feelings they call you names and ridicule you. Fanatics burned people at the stake. They tortured poor souls out of fear.Fanaticism is not faith. It is a mental illness masquerading as faith. Real Christians would pray for me and want what's best for me but all I  get is condemnation . Have you actually read your own Bible?

6 comments:

  1. I grew up in a Mormon household but my maternal grandparents were Baptist. So I went to both churches on occasion. I'm now Agnostic. While I'm not religious I don't think you have to be in order to be a good person, a good neighbor or a kind human being. I treat others how they treat me. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be kind to everyone until they give me a reason not to be. I do not turn the other cheek. I think that is stupid. It is ironic that most people who are vicious are also "religious". I prefer nice sane people too!

      Delete
  2. I agree, fanaticism is not faith. It never was and it never will be. Take terrorism for example - if you're gullible enough to believe that when you die you'll wake up in some kind of theme park where there's a magical wizard in the sky ... you can be convinced of anything, including blowing up innocent people.

    Those who say these atrocities have nothing to do with religion are misguided. Their religion tells these savages that they will go to heaven where they will be greeted by a bevy of virgins - and they'll become a martyr into the bargain. If they believed that when you are dead, you're no more - I'm sure they wouldn't be so keen on blowing themselves up.

    I never was a religious person, however, I do not condemn others for their own beliefs as long as they have honorable characteristics. Good post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. first let me say what a delight it is to see your comment! Haven't heard from you in a long time. Yes, true believers are those whose self righteousness excuses any sort of atrocity. Dangerous mental illness. I don't see any loving kindness being shown in any major faith to be honest. Perhaps on an individual level in places but as a whole no. "Holy War!" is a contradiction in terms. It would take a level of maturity that mankind does not possess to leave behind these "fairy tales" and face reality like adults. I don't think it is possible or likely to ever happen.

      Delete
  3. When growing up I was aloud to visit different faiths. I feel comfortable with pagan path. My husband was brough up Catholic and now is an athist and I couldn't tell you how many people ask me about his moral compass, and even mine. Not saying we don't have our short coming. But I'm more helpful and honest then lot of fundmentalist....Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Religion has never changed anyone near as I can tell. If you are nice, you are nice regardless. If you are mean the same goes. I like to think that I try to be nice. Don't always succeed but I do try.

      Delete

Haters and Trolls comments will be deleted.