Friday, July 7, 2017

Tell Me if this sounds Stupid?

I brought the van home and parked in the shade of the carport. I put the tester on it and found that the battery was below 80 % charge. Alternator output is over 14.25 volts so that checked good. I put the new AGM battery back on the battery charger and after 4 hours at 12 amps it is reading full for the first time since I bought it.

Was a half dead battery installed in my van. Would that make the alternator falter while trying to run the AC full blast in 122 degrees? Will a full battery make the problem go away? I checked the battery when I went to bed and checked it again when I got up and it didn't go down any so that tells me there is no short or phantom load causing it to drain during the night.

Batteries are only supposed to start the vehicle. The alternator supplies the power to run the various systems. IF a battery is half dead the alternator will try to charge it back up and that leaves very little juice for everything else. I think the battery may have been the cause. The dealership said they will ck what I cked for free but if there is no "Engine light" or idiot light on finding the problem could be hard even for an experienced mechanic and also very expensive for me!

I am going to play with this weekend and take it down to the dealership on Monday and see what they think. 120 degrees is awful hot on any vehicle. The ac has trouble keeping up so being out and about during peak heat 12-5 is foolish if not absolutely necessary. I'm staying home till things cool down to normal temps or I am going to start limiting myself to early mornings and after dark for going places.

later,

the rat

12 comments:

  1. I don't think it sounds stupid Rat - a mostly dead battery can cause weird stuff to happen. Good luck - electrical gremlins are my least favorite repair to deal with... I hope you get lucky and find that you simply ended up with a battery that's been sitting on a shelf a little too long and needed a little extra juice to set things right. Stranger things have happened. But for cryin' out loud, stay OUT of that heat as much as you can, your followers would like to keep you around for awhile. No scorched Rat, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to get better prepared. carry an emergency jump starter and some extra water to drink! Maybe a tarp for some shade if need be. I'm not getting caught with my pants down again! Even an old desert rat who gets complacent can get himself in trouble. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  2. My husband loves your page, especially the God Bless America.
    He thinks that maybe the alternator isn't able to support the amperage.he going over numbers in his head. After being in 103-105 for days, our brains are fried :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to sound like one of those people who have to outdo everyone and everything but it is 108 at 11:30 at night here! It hovered around 120 at 4pm! Yeah, I'm about to die! When the van gave me trouble I honestly thought I was going to have a heat stroke. 40+ years in the desert and now it bothers me? I am buying a battery tester with a load test for an accurate assessment of the charging system tomorrow at Harbor Freight similar to the ones they use at the repair shop. I am carrying extra water and I am thinking about getting a emergency jump starter for the back of the van so I can give myself "jumps" if necessary. Obviously I was not adequately prepared much to my chagrin. I'll post more about my findings, thanks. Enjoy the page!

      Delete
    2. Anything over 90, I'm done,lol
      I don't think i. Would do well in Arizona or Nevada.

      Delete
    3. It is 117 degrees right now at 3:40 pm. I am going to take a nap and get up after dark!

      Delete
  3. When I have battery problems (usually it's starter related but that's how life is) I start by making sure the connections are clean-bright-tight. Not just the battery side but the other end of the battery wires too.
    I'm just mentioning it...

    When I started carrying a case of drinking water with me in the car I started drinking more water, turned out I slept better (no more leg cramps) too.
    Having drinking water with you is never a bad thing!
    Good luck Mr. Rat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it charged up fully now and it is maintaining 100 % charge like it's supposed too! My first experience with a AGM battery. Once you get them fully charged they maintain very well considering the god awful temperatures we are experiencing lately. Yeah, I said for years "drink lots of water" and didn't follow my own advice. I fear I am becoming an old fool! thanks for checking in.

      Delete
  4. Heat does crazy things to cars and batteries. Whether they gave you a half charged battery or whatever happened hopefully the dealership can fix the problem fast. My daughter had to get a new battery for her car this year too. Thankfully she had a warranty on it and it cost her nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was half charged when I got it and it never got fully charged. It is now. I bought the same tester the dealership uses and ran the tests at home. The charging system checked ok. Hopefully it is straightened out. I'm not going anywhere again in 120 degree heat. That is just stupid.

      Delete
  5. Mr Rat, I am glad you got the battery problem solved so that your van is usable in case you need it. We both should know by now what summer can bring, so do only what needs to be done in the high temps of the day. Stay safe. Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dave! I hope it is fixed. We will see!

      Delete

If you disagree, your views would be very much sought after! I value your point of view even if it is different from mine! thanks for your comment!