Monday, August 7, 2017

Moving on, being prepared, older is sometimes better, sure is warm!

I managed to sleep about 3 1/2 hours and I'm back up again. Can't make coffee without waking the wife so I am sitting here with dry mouth and a sore throat and no coffee! I took down the rant that I wrote last night because it was real nasty and while I meant every word of it I decided it was not the right thing to do. This has been going on for quite awhile now and I tried to make peace, but he insists on remaining an obnoxious son of a bitch so let him stew in his own juices. I am to old, to tired, hurt to bad to mess with it any longer. Go in peace, but go!

It is impossible to prepare yourself for every possible contingency. I live in the hottest section of desert in the US. I don't have snow treads or snow shoes or a parka. I don't drive up in the mountains in the winter time so those things are unnecessary. I do have more than one spare tire, several gallons of water,  several different kinds and sizes of jacks, a couple of boards, a come-a-long to get myself out of deep sand if I get stuck or get into rough terrain.

I don't go out in the boonies as much as I used to, so even that is less likely than it used to be. At this stage of my life, my preps consist of full cabinets, full pantry, spare water, lots of shade, roof coated white, sun screens. Stuff to stay comfortable and safe. A bang bang in my night stand. Another one in the closet. A couple of more scattered around. Flashlights. We own enough blankets to not suffer to much if the heater quit in winter. It never gets down below 55 degrees inside my house when the heater is turned off. Heater kicks on just often enough to take the chill off.

In the old days I carried a spare battery, alternator, starter, points and plugs and plug wires, a distributor cap and spare rotor. belts, radiator hoses,  an electric fuel pump, hoses and clamps and a big box of everything you can think of when it comes to surviving the desert including a large quantity of water. My buddy used to make fun of me for having all that stuff until the fuel pump quit and we were about 60 miles out; I got my electric fuel pump out, finagled  a couple of pieces of fuel line to it with hose clamps took the fuel lines loose and slaved it in and ran the wires up to the battery with some alligator clips. It hung there pretty as you please with a couple of pieces of clothes hanger wrapped around it. Started the truck and drove back into town.

Another time I had two flat tires on the same trip. No problem two spares! The only real emergency we ever had I wasn't ready for was running out of beer! I am a graduate of the duct tape and bailing wire school of auto mechanics. I'd be scared to take one of these new computer controlled, fuel injected, examples of modern automotive technology out in the desert. Better make damn sure you got a cell signal.

I guess the moral of this story is sometimes older is better or stay the hell out of the desert! It's been over a 100 here for so long now it's hard to believe it is only half over. It won't go back down till the middle of October. You don't tan here, you get skin cancer! Love it! ha ha ha

2 comments:

  1. Yes Sir, the good old days, when you could make a duct tape and bailing wire fix to get you home. My primary vehicle when I lived in northeastern Illinois were cargo vans (I converted to campers) and I had all the camping gear, some food, water and tools inside. Even a catalytic heater for the winter in case of frozen gas lines I’d be warm all night until my friends found me. (no cell phones then)
    Today when the new electronic everything, you better have a cell phone and a very thick wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so god damned paranoid I think they got rid of points and rotor ignition to make us all susceptible to EMP bursts. One well placed explosion and we are all walking!

      Delete

Haters and Trolls comments will be deleted.